Checking Out Materials
Any of the following may check out materials with a valid MCMLS library card:
- All residents of Montgomery County and the state of Texas
- Non-residents of the State of Texas with short term residency
Account Access Policy and Restrictions
Patrons with a valid, unblocked account with card present
Full Borrowing Privileges
Possession of a valid card implies the cardholder’s permission for its use. Patrons may present multiple valid library cards for check out. In some instances, a parent may have multiple accounts for family members. The person with the library card may or may not be the name on the account. Possession of a valid library card does not imply permission to full account access.
Checkout Limits or Exceptions
Customers may borrow items subject to the following restrictions.
- There is an overall limit of 30 items.
- Reference item types may not be checked out.
- The checkout limit for audio books, CDs and Playaways is 10 per library card at any one time. There may only be a total of 10 cassettes, CDs/Playaways per library card at any one time.
- The checkout limit for DVDs is 10 per adult library card at any one time. The checkout limit for videos is 10 per adult library card at any one time. There may only be a total of 10 videos/DVDs per adult library card at any one time.
- Videos and DVDs may not be checked out on child or Young Adult borrower types.
Videocassette and DVD privileges are not extended to children under 18.A child may not check out videocassettes or DVDs even if presenting an adult library card, even for example, their parent's card. A child's card cannot be used to place holds on videocassettes or DVDs.
Suspended Borrowing Privileges
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if $25 or more in fines or fees are unpaid.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if a Verification of Information block is placed on the cardholder’s account until proof of current address is shown.
Renewal - Limits on Renewals
- Renewal loan periods are the same length as the original loan period.
- Items will be renewed from the current due date, or in the case of an overdue item, from the renewal request.
- There is a limit of 2 renewals per item.
- Items may not be renewed if the customer’s borrowing privileges have been suspended.
- Items may not be renewed if there is a hold for another customer on that title or that item.
- Renewal of overdue items will automatically post fines.
(Effective date October 1 2010)