Montgomery County Memorial Library System (MCMLS) is dedicated to supporting life-long learning in our community. In support of this goal, we allow not-for-profit tutoring on the library premises.
- Tutors are individuals who provide instructions to others either on a paid or volunteer basis.
- All tutoring that takes place at the MCMLS locations, whether by an individual or a business, must be free of charge.
- The Library does not sponsor, recommend, or assume liability or responsibility for the work and/or activities of tutors who use Library space. Tutors may not publish or distribute advertisement or letters identifying the Library as their place of doing business or imply Library sponsorship of their activities.
- Depending upon the Library location, study room space may be available for use by tutors who are not charging for their services. Each location will determine the best use of its study room(s) as well as the appropriateness and availability of these rooms for tutoring sessions.
- Tutors shall work with a maximum of four (4) students per tutor session. The library is not to be used as a classroom or office space, but as a safe and quiet space for students to receive instruction to be successful. Tutor belongings or use of space should not interfere with easy access through the library by other library users.
- Tutoring in accordance with this policy is allowed in open study and reading areas if such activity does not disturb staff or Library users. Tutors and their students must comply with all rules, guidelines and procedures governing behavior in the Library.
- Library staff is happy to assist tutors and their students, just as they assist any patron of the Library. However, the Library staff must be available to all people who come into the Library for help and should not be relied upon to deliver messages, or to find a tutor.
- Tutors are responsible for the behavior of the student during the session. A parent/guardian must remain in the Library while a child under the age of 13 is being tutored. The Library assumes no responsibility for children left unattended. The Library’s Unattended Minor and Customer Behavior Policy applies to everyone.
- Tutors and students must bring their own supplies such as paper, pens, pencils, etc. Tutors may use Library materials (i.e. library books) in accordance with library polices.
- Tutors working with students at the end of the day are asked to conclude their session fifteen minutes before closing time.
- For- profit businesses are not eligible to use library Study Rooms. Any for-profit person or group who would like to use the Meeting Rooms, will be charged the applicable fee for businesses. Participants must follow library meeting room policy requirements that state:
Library facilities may not be used for any commercial purposes, including but not limited to , the sale of goods or services, executing fee-for-service agreements or contracts to perform services elsewhere, accepting membership dues, selling raffle tickets and collecting fees for tutoring. Friends of the Library groups have contracts with the County and fundraising activities are allowed. GRP-1 Meeting Room Policy II. A.9
- Tax payers fund the free use of library facilities and services. Conducting private business on County property and financially profiting from the endeavor is not allowed, whether by a group or an individual, as this is deemed a conflict of interest. If an individual or group would like to conduct business on library property, a contract with the County is necessary.
- Cell phone use is restricted to the lobbies. Library phones may not be used to schedule and reschedule sessions.
- Pursuant to the Library’s Customer Behavior policy, tutors may not solicit Library patrons in the Library.
(Effective date January 26, 2016)